members@lists.national-coalition-literacy.org

National Coalition for Literacy Discussion List

View all threads

CARES Act Funding

SB
Sharon Bonney
Thu, Feb 3, 2022 7:53 PM

Hello everyone,
I wanted to follow up on the portion of yesterday's call when the group discussion touched on our work with governors to secure CARES Act funding. As you are likely aware, in addition to our ongoing work with individual members, COABE has worked closely with state association (since 2017) and our State Advocates for Adult Education Fellows (2021) to reach out to mayors, governors, and members of congress to secure CARES Act, American Rescue Plan, and WIOA funding. I had noted on yesterday's call that one state director had secured additional funding for her state, however I was not recalling the information from 2020 correctly, so wanted to share the correct information.

a) the state director that had brought in CARES Act funding in 2020 and then retired shortly thereafter was not Gail Senese (ME), but Sue Pierson (CT)
b) the funding was not $1.2 million but just over $1.6 million (see email below)

The celebratory email from Sue regarding the funding is below, as well as a link (HEREhttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1S4M1_alOsB1F1RX58Miojmm-OYwwrbEHyv-8jvjRvrk/edit?usp=sharing) to the December 2020 email that she referenced in her communication to me. We had sent out a number of additional eblasts leading up to December. I've included a link to our November eblast to state leaders (HEREhttps://conta.cc/3knkvE3).

I would love to share more about our advocacy efforts and would be happy to set up a meeting with those that are interested. In the meantime, our recently published advocacy report can be found (HEREhttps://conta.cc/3qG6RSK).

Have a wonderful day!

Sharon Bonney

Chief Executive Officer | Coalition on Adult Basic Education | sharonmbonney@coabe.org