[NCL Members] NCL/Adult iteracy Caucus Hill Briefing, Wednesday May 9

Deborah Kennedy deborah.kennedy at key-words.us
Thu Apr 26 15:51:38 EDT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

The NCL and the House Adult Literacy Caucus will sponsor a Congressional briefing on Outcomes and Significance of Federal Support for Adult Literacy on Wednesday, May 9, 2:30-3:30 pm in Room 340, Cannon House Office Building.

Congressman Phil Roe (TN) is scheduled to open the briefing. The briefing itself will focus on the power and potential of adult literacy education to transform lives. Speakers will include two adult education graduates, Dr Rachel DeVaughan from Mississippi and the Rev David Hendricks from Connecticut; a current program participant, Mr Abraham Castaneda from the Carlos Rosario Public Charter School in Washington, DC; and Dr Margaret Patterson, who will report on the findings of her current research with would-be adult learners on impediments to participation and suggestions for low-cost ways to increase access. I will provide framing comments regarding the federal role in adult education.

The briefing is designed to encourage Members of Congress to maintain a priority focus on adult literacy and adult education as they engage in the federal budget appropriations process for fiscal 2019 and beyond.

The briefing is free and open to the public, and you are most welcome to attend if you wish. I am attaching an invitation flyer, and I encourage you to forward it to colleagues and other contacts. You can also assist by forwarding the invitation to the offices of your Members of Congress; we are conducting extensive outreach ourselves, but communications from constituents are often much more powerful.

We will post a summary of the briefing on the NCL website later in May.

Cordially,

Deborah

Deborah Kennedy

Senior Consultant / Owner, Key Words

President, National Coalition for Literacy

office: 202-364-1964 (September-May)

office: 603-293-2402 (June-August)

www.key-words.us

www.national-coalition-literacy.org