[NCL Members] CEF Budget Book - Your Help Needed

Jeff Carter jcarter at literacypolicy.org
Tue Feb 16 09:23:39 EST 2016

NCL members,

Every year NCL provides a summary of the President’s budget request for adult education as our contribution to a “budget book” that CEF puts out in early the spring, ahead of the appropriations process. Once again, we need your help. For the last few years, the editors have tried to lead each section with a personal 'vignette' — something that shows the impact of the program in question in human terms and sort of brings it to life. So we need a 3-4 sentence story that captures the impact that WIOA Title II has on individuals/families.

Please let me know if you can write up a short story for our opening vignette this year.

As an example, here’s the vignette we used last year:

In Tucson, Arizona, the sixth poorest of the nation’s large metropolitan areas, nearly 200,000 adults lack a high school diploma and/or the literacy skills needed to obtain a job or earn family-sustaining wages. Luckily, there are programs for adults to get the help they need to be productive workers, parents, and community members. Pima Community College’s adult education program, funded by the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA), (codified as Title II of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, or WIOA), serves nearly 6,000 adults annually seeking to increase their literacy, numeracy, and language skills in preparation for college and career. Students like Miguel, who worked for 23 years as an X-ray technician in California, where he did not need a high school or HSE diploma for his job. Since he moved to Arizona, he hasn’t been able to find work in his field without a diploma. Now he is working hard to get his GED so he can support his family, which includes a son in the 9th grade. Miguel’s son sees what Miguel is going through as an adult without a GED and is motivated to stay in school so he won’t go through similar struggles. Without WIOA Title II support, Miguel’s family and thousands of others would be without educational options or hope for a better future.

I’m going to try to finish the budget part of the article and send it to the editors today, (I’m already behind), but I think they could probably drop in the vignette after I’ve turned in my copy  — so sometime this week should work.

Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions. Sorry about the last-minute-ness of this request.

Jeff

Jeff Carter
—
President, National Coalition for Literacy
http://national-coalition-literacy.org

General Contact Info —

jcarter at literacypolicy.org or jeffcrtr at gmail.org
Personal Twitter: @jeffcrtr | literacypolicy.org