[NCL Members] LEGISLATIVE ACTION ALERT: Ask Your Members of Congress to Co-Sponsor a Resolution Dedicating National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week

Jeff Carter jcarter at literacypolicy.org
Wed Sep 16 14:32:44 EDT 2015

Feel free to pass along…

LEGISLATIVE ACTION ALERT:  Ask Your Members of Congress to Co-Sponsor a Resolution Dedicating National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week

ACT BY: Friday, Sep 18 (House); Wednesday, Sep 16* (Senate)

The National Coalition for Literacy has some terrific news! This month, Representative Jared Polis (D-CO) will introduce, for the seventh  year in a row, a House resolution designating the week of September 21st, 2015 as National Adult Education and Family Literacy (AEFL) Week!  In addition, for the fifth year in a row, Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) and Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN) will introduce a Senate resolution that also recognizes this important honorary week.

In previous years, states and communities have followed this national leadership, establishing state and local resolutions to honor the importance and impact of adult education. It ultimately serves to leverage local partnerships, resources, and funding for adult education and family literacy nationwide.

How You Can Help

The good news is that we will not need a minimum number of co-sponsors to move either piece of legislation forward. However, it will be important to show strong, bipartisan support for our issue by having Representatives and Senators stand behind the commemoration of this week.

Action: Call or email your Members of Congress (both your Representative AND Senators). Click here to enter your zip code and find contact information for your Members. <http://www.opencongress.org/people/zipcodelookup>

Message: Please sponsor the resolution for National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week 2015! (To support this resolution, interested Members of Congress should contact the Congressional staffers listed below.)

·        House offices should contact Bo Morris (Bo.Morris at mail.house.gov <mailto:Bo.Morris at mail.house.gov>) with Representative Polis’ office to sign on in support by September 18.

·        Senate offices should contact Maggie McGrane (Margaret_McGrane at help.senate.gov <mailto:Margaret_McGrane at help.senate.gov>) with Senator Murray’s office by September 16.

At a time when education is facing significant budgetary challenges, it’s critical we lift every voice for adult education and family literacy.
If you have questions, please contact Jeff Carter (jcarter at literacypolicy.org <mailto:jcarter at literacypolicy.org>).

Jeff

*Apologies for such short notice. I was told just today that the Senate resolution will be introduced TOMMORROW. The good news is that Senate staff has been working on gathering co-sponsors on their own with some success. But it would be nice if this aftrenoon we could pick up a few more!

Jeff Carter
—
President, National Coalition for Literacy
http://national-coalition-literacy.org

General Contact Info —

jcarter at literacypolicy.org or jeffcrtr at gmail.org
Personal Twitter: @jeffcrtr | literacypolicy.org